Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Gotta love them veggies!

So, Monday was by far the most uncomfortable day this summer, right? And so what was I doing? PICKING BEANS! They really needed to be out of the garden and that was they day we had available. I think I probably sweated out every toxin my body has ever been in contact with. Yikes! Yesterday, I snapped, blanched and bagged beans for freezing and picked sweet corn along with a few tomatoes, onions, and beets. I feel like I am turning into an old Midwestern woman. All I need is a pair of overalls and a big, floppy straw hat and I will be Gert Jr.! My grandmother has always been a big garden person, and I find myself wanting to grow more all the time. My father-in-law should be proud of me - he has the biggest non-commercial garden I have ever seen, and he practically has it down to a science. I know next year I want to have an herb garden. I already have chives and lavender, but I want some basil, parsley, and especially cilantro so I can make my own salsa - yum! On Friday I believe we are going to put up corn, which should be SO MUCH FUN! (I say with a smile painted on my face), and hopefully freeze some zucchini. Our pumpkins are looking good, along with the cucs, acorn squash, and carrots, which all need a little more time. One of the pumpkins is bigger than a basketball, and J is practically busting at the seams to carve it!

Happy Birthday to my cuz Emily in FLA! Wish I were there to go out to eat with y'all. :) Hopefully Hal, J and T get you something special!

Well, off to piano lessons...maybe more later. I kinda have "blogging block" right now!

1 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Margie, got blogging block? Try doing the '6 Quirky things about me'. Read mine to see how

August 9, 2008 at 9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home