Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The LST-325




Last weekend we journied to Hannibal, MO to climb aboard the LST-325. In short, this ship carried men and supplies overseas during WWII. It could pull up to shore, open two huge doors on its bow and drop a ramp that tanks and vehicles could use to drive out of the inside of the ship. It was amazing to think of how much weight that boat could carry and still float! I saw a photo of a similar ship out to sea during some rough waves and let me tell you, they would have had to carry me off of the ship because I would have been out! Scary! Nothing in the ship was overly impressive - the impressive thing was just being there and sharing in a piece of history. There is a very moving piece of writing on the deck of the ship that is supposed to be written from the ship's point of view. It was a very moving piece and really made me think about the sacrifices so many have made to let us live the life we have right now. I hope to continue to teach my sons about the importance of history and the role it has played in shaping our lives. I want them to appreciate what others have gone through to get us where we are today. Check out the boat's site: http://www.lstmemorial.org/
Pic #1 is A and the boys next to a "duck" land/sea vehicle. Pic #2 is my nephew with the boys sitting on an anchor on the deck of the LST.


The trip ended with a sweet treat at a small ice cream shop in downtown Hannibal - of course the boys loved that! The third pic is of a tiny little vehicle that belonged to the shop. It was so cute and I wanted to bring it home. They also enjoyed watching the trains on the VERY nearby tracks, and also got to see the Mark Twain riverboat cruising by.


Tomorrow the lovely little darlings will show up for a new year at MRJHS - I am trying really hard to contain my enthusiasm. :) If only they could love school as much as Jackson does right now! Well, I must get some sleep - Lord knows I need it at this point.


In closing, thank a veteran & support our troops!


Happy schooling!
ps-if anyone is interested in the boat and lives near me, it will be in Moline, IL this weekend, then in Clinton, IA, then I believe it will be in Ft. Madison, IA http://www.lstmemorial.org/.

1 Comments:

Blogger Raimi said...

I finally had 2 minutes to check blogs. It is so great to see your cute kiddos. It will be a fun way to keep tabs on your family! I hope you are well!

August 27, 2008 at 1:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home